Minggu, 13 Desember 2009
The Eros Shift
The Eros Shift
By Bob Mumford www.lifechangers.org
Moses saw that the people were unruly and unrestrained.
The eros shift began when Adam and Eve disobeyed God. The shift carries with it the idea of breaking loose because in that act, the human heart changed directions. When Moses came down the mountain with the Ten Commandments, he found the people out of control. They had melted all their gold and built a golden calf to worship. The people had become an object of shame among their enemies and Aaron, as the leader in Moses’ absence, was held responsible for the actual breaking loose.
An eros shift is a move toward man-centered, ungoverned desires, individualism,
anarchy, and entitlement. It involves all levels and units of society–individual, family, church, society, and government. In the appendix I have diagrammed the eros Shift as we have experienced over the last 200 years.
There are five progressive steps in an eros shift:
1. Ungoverned desires that have matured into passion.
2. Ungoverned desires that are unswervingly committed to having their own way.
3. Ungoverned desires that emerge as a predator or parasite that is willing and eager to use violence to have their own way.
4. Ungoverned desires that mature in the skills of intrigue and deception.
5. Ungoverned desire manifested as obsessive-compulsive behavior, addiction, and hopelessness.
Spiritual death is the inevitable and unavoidable consequences of any society that breaks loose. Once society is increasingly living without effective restraint, it is most difficult to get it back under control. Most often, it requires serious or cataclysmic events.
THOUGHTS & QUESTIONS
• What can you identify that tends to draw you off the Agape Road?
• Describe your experience with the five progressive steps of the eros Shift.
• Once a society breaks loose, why is spiritual death inevitable?